Supported training programmes are primarily developed and offered to learners who require significant additional supports to access and undertake training as part of their agreed pathway to work. Kilkenny and Carlow ETB offer supported training provision across a range of Community Training programmes.
The Local Training Initiative (LTI) programme provides a range of person centred services to assist individuals to enter/re-enter the labour market. LTI’s also promote the removal of barriers and provide supports, which ensure access to programmes, services and employment for individuals and groups experiencing exclusion and labour market disadvantage.
Initiatives are firmly rooted in the community and encourage people, primarily 35 years of age or under, who otherwise might not avail of mainstream training to develop their existing skills and learn new skills in an environment that is tailored to their particular local needs.
The LTI’s provide a range of training programmes which lead to Major QQI awards between levels 3, 4 and 5 and as such durations vary based on programme requirements. For more information, please refer to the below list of LTI’s:
Local Training Initiatives in Carlow
Moving On – St. Catherines, Carlow
Aim: This programme is specifically designed for lone parents aged 16 to 35 years who are at risk of, or are experiencing, isolation, early school leaving, poverty and difficulties in accessing mainstream education and employment opportunities.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award in Employment Skills (4M0857)
- Unemployed lone parents in receipt of a DSP payment aged between 16 – 35 years.
Contact Details: Thomas Farrell (Coordinator)
Tel: 059 9138718
Making Connections– St. Catherines, Carlow
Aim: This programme provides support for people recovering from substance misuse; homelessness or coming from a probationary background and as a result require assistance to progress in different areas of training and education. The programme is delivered on a one to one basis over a number of hours per week.
- QQI Level 3 Major Award in Employability Skills (3M0935)
- Applicants who are experiencing unemployment and experiencing barriers accessing the labour market and main stream education and training as a consequence of addiction or judicial circumstances. Entry to the programme is by referral from a range of agencies, including but not exclusively, HSE Substance Misuse Clinic, Outreach Workers, Probationary Services and Homelessness Services in Carlow.
Contact Details: Maureen Egerton (Coordinator)
Tel: 059 9138700 / 085-8053316
Local Training Initiatives in Kilkenny
The Grow Project – Ferrybank
Aim: This programme provides learners with the knowledge, skills and competence to obtain entry-level employment in the horticulture sector or to progress to further education and training.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award in Horticulture (4M1994)
- QQI Level 5 Major Award in Horticulture (5M2586)
- Long term unemployed individuals who are specifically seeking to explore/pursue a career in horticulture or progress into further education and training.
Contact Details: Gerard Mullen
Tel: 085 8597784 or 051 832002
Moving On – Ferrybank
Aim: This programme provides learners with the knowledge, skills, and accreditation necessary to enter or re-enter employment and/or progress to further education and training within the Community/Social Care and Health Sectors.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award in Employment Skills (4M0847)
- QQI Level 5 Major Award in General Learning (5M3114)
- Primarily people with either no formal qualifications or incomplete second level qualifications aged 17+
Contact Details: Denise Wall
Tel: 086 7942442
Introduction to Multimedia Production – Young Irish Filmmakers
Aim: This programme provides learners with the skill, knowledge and competence to obtain entry level employment or progress to further education and training in the area of creative digital media.
- QQI Level 5 Major Award in Multimedia Production (5M2146)
- Primarily people with either no formal qualifications or incomplete second level qualifications between the ages of 16 & 35.
Contact Details: Helen Curtin
Tel: 056 775 1405
Pharmacy and Beauty Retail sales – Newpark
Aim: This programme provides learners with the knowledge, skills and competence to obtain entry-level employment in the Pharmacy sector or to progress to further education and training.
- QQI Level 4 Major Award in Pharmacy and Beauty Retail Sales (4M1998)
- Primarily long term unemployed with either no formal qualifications or incomplete second level qualifications between the ages of 18 & 35.
Tel: (056) 7723309